The Christmas season is approaching and I already see people preparing for the holidays. As you consider what you listen to, what you eat, and how you decorate for Christmas, I hope you will keep in mind the following rules in regards to Christmas:
1. Harry Potter is not a Christmas movie. Containing a Christmas scene does not a Christmas movie make.
2. LED lights are of the devil. Yeah, yeah, yeah, one bulb going out doesn't knock out the whole strand, and you can plug in 43 strands at once, and they are way more energy efficient, blah, blah, blah. They just are so...cold. Flouresent. Unappealing. I can't handle the light! It's so uncozy. Some day when I die, they are going to make an episode of "Hoarders" (sickly fascinating show, by the way) about me. Instead of finding me taped to my bedside toilet so I don't fall into the garbage and dead cats around me, they are going to find my home packed to the ceiling with boxes of REAL Christmas lights and REAL lightbulbs.
3. Never, ever, ever, EVER mix regular lights with LED lights. LED lights are bad enough, but the two lights should NOT be mixed!
4. Inflatables. They are not my favorite, but you should never do a yard full. And don't even GET me started on how it looks during the day with them deflated all over the yard. I have to stifle the urge to yell "The carnage! THE CHRISTMAS CARNAGE!"
5. The following song should never be played at Christmas time (or ever, although this video is so ridiculous it's almost funny):
6. Don't put red or green bulbs in your outdoor light fixtures. The first thing I think is "drug deal."
7. Don't ever, ever make a dessert that LOOKS like those Oreo balls (hehe) but really make stupid CREAM PUFFS. I hate cream, and that was a most unpleasant, gagging surprise. And yes, the sexual overtones in this rule are not lost on me. I wasn't intending that, truly.
8. This song should be put to rest permanently as well:
I realize it makes a lot of people cry, and feel very sentimental, but...call me Scrooge if you must. I want to blow my brains out when I hear this song.
9. Instead of watching music videos that make you want to hurl, you should instead watch CLASSICS like this one!
I loved this cartoon as a kid, and still enjoy it today.
10. Send Christmas cards. Don't resist. Getting real mail is such a rare treat these days. It's totally worth the cost.
I have other nuggets of wisdom, but I'll leave you with 10! I know that some of you will consider this a little premature, but you can't plan ahead enough when considering these important Christmas rules!