Thursday, July 21, 2011

Wonder What She Remembers About Me?


Today, I returned to the town that I have lived in for the past 13 years (give or take) to visit THE lady doctor.  You know.  Yuck.

While in this town, I needed to pay a friend of mine that is currently building me bookcases for my classroom (as a side note, do you have any idea how difficult it is to find bookcases for a classroom that are not as tall as the Eiffel Tower or hideously expensive, and will stand up to the crazy antics of monkey children?).  My friend mentioned that he would be painting a room at a home in a neighborhood that I was familiar with.  Knowing his general location, and car, I decided to just run to that house and give him the money quickly.

Awkwardly, I walk to the door of the home of someone I don't really know and, with a fat wad of cash in my hand, I asked if Joe Blow was there because I needed to give him money.  The woman that opened the door looked at me oddly.  I mean, she probably thought that I was a stranger coordinating a drug deal in her living room.  As it turns out, I had had this woman as a professor in college.

After dropping off the cash and putting the weed in my bra I thanked the kind woman for allowing me to invade her home.  She interrupted me and asked me if we knew one another.  I told her my name, and that I had taken an economics class with her many, many years ago.  I never expected her to remember me.

She smiled and said "Of course, I remember you in my class!  And you were in my class on 9/11, I remember it well!"

This is mind boggling to me.  I took one class with this woman, and what I remember about the class is that a) it was very early in the morning and I was very sleepy  b) I used to pass a lot of notes in this class, to stay awake c) I should never purchase a brand new car, because it is an economically poor decision and d) I was in her class on 9/11, and remember her telling us what had happened.

Anyway, this was probably boring to you, but I found it so interesting that she would remember me, and that just as she will always be cemented in my memory for that tragic day, I have apparently been cemented in hers.

I shudder to think what any other professors remember about me.  Really.  I would hazard a guess that they would remember sleep, doodling, passing notes to Sarah, Amanda and Erin and, in a few cases, a very pale blonde that was sick with worry because she had a test and had not studied.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...