Saturday, January 7, 2012

Thanks for the support!


I've been attempting to get back into shape lately.  I've never been a terribly athletic person, but I had totally dropped the ball (and not a medicine ball!) in regards to exercise.  I've been working out with a trainer, but I think I'm frustrating her.  In all fairness, I did try to warn her.

I told her that I grew up Baptist.  There is not a flexible move in these Baptist born bones!  No matter how much I may want to, I am physically incapable of dancing or moving in any sort of fluid motion.  It's not my fault.  Blame the SBC.

I also told her that I'm directionally challenged.  I have a hard time following an exercise leader.  Do I move in the same direction as he or she?  Or do I move the same arm that he or she is moving, even though it's backwards?

I also told her that I'm a teacher. If there is one thing I can do well, it is follow directions.  However, I am going to make darn sure that I follow the directions TO THE LETTER, and I'm not going to start anything until I'm absolutely sure that my body placement is correct, I understand what I'm about to do, and more importantly, while I'm doing whatever I've been told, is anyone looking?

So during training, she kind woman keeps smiling and saying (between clenched teeth) "No, move your foot this way. Other way. More. More. Too much. No, move it back. Can you...no...move your other foot the other way."

I was telling my sister about my problems and expected her to be all sympathetic.  What did she say?

She chuckled and said "Yeah. I remember you in Jazzercise. We were all going along working hard, and there you were..."

YES, YES, I KNOW. I was going the wrong direction. And doing it all wrong.

I will never have a career as a dancer. Or fitness instructor.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there! I used a trainer twice, and honestly HATED it, but I did learn. At least she isn't yelling at you - my first trainer was a Russian woman who had NO empathy whatsoever, and kept telling me to "toughen up"!

    ReplyDelete

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...