Monday, March 21, 2011

My Celebrimania Continues

I have said it before, and I will say it again. I don't know WHY I do, but I am a celebrity addict. Why, just this morning, I saw that my BFF Michael Phelps (he did send me a birthday card, thanks to my sister!) started following me on Twitter, and I almost passed out.


So recently I heard that Elton John was coming to my area for a concert. I know that a lot of people think I'm a total dork for liking Elton, but I do. I know a lot of his songs, and thought it would be fun to go to his concert.  Tickets were going on sale Saturday morning at 10:00, so I had to be ready.

I set my alarm so I wouldn't oversleep (shut up, I'm not a morning person, ok??).  As the time drew near, I sat up in my bed, laptop at the ready, phone in my hand.  I was going to try and purchase them online, but would use the phone as a backup.

10:00 came, and I was on it!  I excitedly went to the website, only to be put into a stupid lottery!  How is that fair?!  I mean, it's not fair, because I want a ticket and I want it now, thank you very much!  So I dialed the number.  Busy.  Curses!

So, I redialed.  Busy.  Dang it!!

So, I redialed.  Busy.  WHAT THE.......

I then sent this email to my sister at 10:03 a.m:  "not looking good so far"


She then received an email from me, stating "9 minutes later, no tickets."


At 10:18, "18 minutes, no tickets"


Did I mention that this entire time, I am holding the phone, hitting redial over and over and over, and being greeted by a busy signal?  Stupid lottery!

At 10:35, I began to lose steam.  I was beginning to feel hopeless.  How could I not get tickets?  I mean, I set my alarm, doesn't that count for anything?  It should!  Who cares that people camped out?  I woke up before 10 a.m. and was working hard trying to get those tickets.  Granted, I was working hard in my bed, in my pajamas, and my hair had a special Eiffel Tower style to it.  But still.

At 10:49, I sent her an email that said "49 minutes, and my fingers are beginning to cramp."  I was feeling really sorry for myself.  I pondered giving up, but I couldn't do that.  I'd already invested this much time trying to get a ticket!  At this point, my competitive streak kicked in.  I would get a ticket.  Two tickets, actually.  No matter what!!!!  I would DO IT!  My cell phone kept ringing, and I kept getting texts, but I ignored them.  I needed both hands.


So, I obsessively redialed, and redialed, and redialed.  About 70 minutes into my quest, the phone was no longer busy.  I was put on hold.  I've never been so happy to be put on hold in my life!  I sat up straighter in my bed.  A renewed sense of victory came over me.

They will be mine.  Oh yes, they will be mine.

At 11:20 a.m., a full 100 minutes after my quest began, I was connected with a customer service representative.  At this point, the mania took over me.  I squealed into the phone "I'm calling to get Elton John tickets, please tell me that you aren't out!!!!!!!!!"  Yes, I think I really used that many exclamation points.  She laughed and told me that there were still tickets.

I was in the process of getting mid-range price tickets, when she suddenly put me on hold.  She came back and told me that they were all out.  I gasped.  My body twitched.  I would not be beaten!  I asked her what she had left.  All they had left were the expensive seats.

I screamed into the phone "I'll take them!"

I gave her my credit card information, and was floating on air to think that I'd be so close to a British legend!  Sir Elton!  WOW!  She told me that my purchase went through, and that the tickets would be mailed to me.  I thanked her as if she'd just rescued me from the depths of despair.

I then called and texted everyone I knew and told them.  I won!  I did it!  My sister thought I was nuts for paying so much, but I don't even care.  Not at all.  We're going, and it is going to be awesome!

And in the end, the internet failed me.  The good old fashioned phone saved the day!

1 comment:

  1. So I haven't read this whole entry yet because my brain exploded when you told us Michael Phelps is following you on Twitter. You just got even cooler in my book.

    ReplyDelete

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...